This course aims to refine the preparation of effective future practitioners employed in the birth to five-years education sector. We want our teachers to recognise the importance of the early years and the educator's role in children's lives and have a balance between strong practical skills and a strong theoretical underpinning.
Bachelor of Education (Birth to 5 Years)
About the course
The course is comprised of a mixture of subjects that are designed to:
* familiarise students with the educational and social contexts which impact upon practice
* provide students with a firm grounding in the discipline knowledge and methods of teaching relevant to successful implementation of early childhood education and care content
* develop students' understanding of children and families, and the communities in which they will teach
* familiarise students with the research informing pedagogy for diverse learner groups.
The Bachelor of Education (Birth to 5 Years) is part of an articulated set which incorporates the Bachelor of Teaching (Birth to 5 Years). During a period of transition, 2009-2011, the three-year Bachelor of Teaching (Birth to 5 Years) will remain as an entry degree as well as an exit component from the Bachelor of Education (Birth to 5 Years).
Students may be eligible for credit, as follows:
* For students who hold either an Associate Diploma in Social Science (Child Studies) or a Diploma in Children's Services-Centre Based Care entry level credit of 128 subject points will be awarded.
* For students who enter with a Bachelor of Teaching (Birth to 5 Years), Charles Sturt University, full credit will be granted (192 credit points) for subjects completed as part of this articulated award and prior entry level credit.
* For students who enter holding an equivalent Bachelor of Early Childhood teaching qualification a total of 192 credit points will be granted as entry level credit.
Refer to the Additional requirements section for information on:
* Literacy requirement
To graduate, students must successfully complete 256 points.