The Bachelor of Psychological Science course offered at Melbourne and Brisbane will provide the necessary knowledge and skills to enable graduates to progress to postgraduate training in psychology (the next necessary step for career preparation to be a professional psychologist). Potential psychologists require three years of approved undergraduate training before becoming eligible to enter postgraduate study and eventual registration as a psychologist. For those who wish to move in alternative career directions, completion of the proposed Bachelor of Psychological Science degree at Melbourne and Brisbane will offer potential employment in a broad range of areas including counselling, human resources and marketing, child welfare, community work, and education.
Queensland Prerequisites: English (4, SA) Victoria Prerequisites: Units 3 and 4 – a study score of at least 25 in English (any).
Bachelor of Psychological Science
An important aspect of the course is its currency in meeting the need to equip future psychologists with the skills necessary for professional practice in the rapidly changing, increasingly multicultural Australian society. The course includes an Indigenous/multicultural issues component in all units.
The objectives of the degree are that by the end of this course students will:
1. have a sound theoretical background in the discipline of Psychology and its applications;
2. appreciate the principles and ethics upon which applied aspects of the discipline are based;
3. have developed and be able to apply knowledge about the construction and use of psychological tests and assessment procedures;
4. develop competence in written and verbal communication relevant to the discipline of psychology;
5. develop an awareness of values which might influence attitudes and behaviour;
6. know how to formulate research questions, and collect, analyse and interpret research data;
7. have developed the necessary computer, research and statistical skills required to prepare psychology research reports.
The Bachelor of Psychological Science is recognised by the Australian Psychological Society as an accredited three-year undergraduate degree in Psychology. Those students who complete the Honours program will be eligible for probationary registration as a psychologist in Victoria, as well as becoming eligible for associate membership with the Australian Psychological Society.
* Community work
* Human Services
* Market research
Pathways to further study
Graduates from this program will be eligible to apply for fourth year studies in psychology (Honours degree in psychological science or post-graduate diploma in psychology).