There are certain skills you need to manage a retail outlet. Our Retail Management course is designed in conjunction with major retailer’s and helps you learn the skills you need quickly and conveniently.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
Retail Management Course - Certificate | Diploma | Advanced Diploma
Developing & Recognising Skills
Implement staff training
Due to the pressures of competition and the need to meet organisational performances, a definite relationship between organisational goals and training has emerged. You will cover: Considering staff training, Assessing and confirming the need for training, Preparing the training, Delivering a training session & Evaluating a training session.
Assess workplace competencies
An essential aspect of developing team members is the ability to assess the individuals skills and knowledge. You will learn about: The assessment process, Assessment evidence, The assessment plan, Implementing the assessment activity, The assessment decision, Assessment records & Reviewing assessment.
Leading & Managing People
Lead and manage people
This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to lead and manage people. It involves developing and communicating team objectives developing and improving teams delegating responsibility consultation and actively supporting team members to achieve goals and store plans/targets.
Managing Human Resources
Provide a safe working environment
This unit covers developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to occupational health and safety issues. It involves consulting with staff assessing and controlling risks establishing and maintaining record systems and evaluating policies and procedures.
Administer human resources policy
This unit teach you how to plan and manage human resources. It involves implementing staffing levels monitoring staff performance identifying and minimising potential industrial relations problems and developing and implementing training plans.
Recruit and select personnel
This unit will cover: Human Resource Planning, Identifying HR Needs, Staff Selection & EEO, Recruitment Policy, Conducting an Interview. Recruitment is a critical component of any retail managers task in making an retail outlet profitable.
Manage financial resources
This unit involves the skills required to develop and implement financial control systems. It involves controlling cost and budget maintaining store accounting systems and developing and negotiating budget allocations.
Control store security/loss
Providing a suitable level of security is essential to minimise the potential risk of damage, loss or injury to the team, the store, its equipment or stock. This risk is not limited to traditional ‘shoplifting or armed robbery’. There are many potential risk areas to consider when implementing an effective loss prevention strategy.
Efficiently controlling the inventory of a retail store is critical to the long term profitability and survival of the store. Retailers make a sizeable investment in the inventory they keep every day. If this investment is not protected, the retailer may face financial losses that cannot be overcome.
Manage merchandise and store operations
This unit involves managing store merchandising, planning and managing store advertising and promotions, managing store pricing policies and managing housekeeping.
Manage sales and service delivery
This unit involves market research developing new markets and marketing products and services within the culture of the overall store policy.
How Will You Benefit?
* Fast track your career in retail management
* Learn the inside secrets of how retail managers run profitable, efficient and well managed stores
* Study a retail management course that was designed in conjunction with major retailer’s
* Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
* Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
* Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
* Easy interest free payment plans from as low as $49 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Start an exciting and challenging career as a Retail Manager in a fast growing industry. ICI Retail Management graduates have a wide range of skills to offer in the retail sector and business in general. They are able to reflect upon, understand and articulate the dynamics of establishing, operating and growing a retail sector business.
Typical positions applicants apply for are: Retail Manager, Operations Manager, Merchandise Manager, Retail Buyer and Sales Manager.
Our graduates have gone onto successful careers with large national retailers, smaller local retailers and a variety of other businesses. Some students have even fulfilled their dreams of becoming successful retail entrepreneurs themselves.
The opportunities are endless and the future is bright for educated retail managers!
Course Levels Explained
This course leads to the awarding of either a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the basic (Certificate), intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the three levels below:
1. Certificate: represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge. Suitable for basic entry level positions.
2. Diploma: qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
3. Advanced Diploma: The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
* Certificate Level - 14 weeks,
* Diploma Level - 24 weeks,
* Advanced Diploma Level - 31 weeks.
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
* Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
* The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode : Distance Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance, assessments takes place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you’ll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
* Government, business & industry employers 32%
* High school leavers 20%
* Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
* Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
* Military personal 11%
* Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very "hands on" approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the "theory" behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
* Department of Defence
* State of Queensland
* Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
* Department of Employment, Economic Development & Innovation
* Revenue SA (State of South Australia)
* Metcash Trading Ltd Australia (IGA)
* Navman Technologies
* Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane
* Employment Directions Network / Department of Education & Training
* Queensland Compensation
* Calvin Klein
* John Paul College
* Darwin International Airport
* Mitsubishi Corporation
* Commonwealth Bank
* American Express
* Clayton UTZ
* Hennikers Solicitors
* Villari Lawyers
* Aviva Australia Holdings,
* Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
* Federal Workplace Authority
* Centacare Employment Group
* Mission Australia
* MAX Employment
* Gunnebo Australia (Security)
* Brookfield Multiplex
* Coca-Cola Amitil
* Coles Myer Ltd
How Does it Work? - The ICI Learning Experience
Click Here to learn how the typical ICI student experience goes from enrolment to graduation (Pop Up Window).
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
* All required study materials and course notes
* Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
* Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
* UNESCO endorsed Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
* A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a retail manager
* Transcripts indicating units completed
* Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
* Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipRtlMngmt
* Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program