The Diploma of Accounting course suits those seeking work at the operational level of bookkeeping, clerical and office administration and those wanting to return to the workforce and upgrade their business skills.
At Bass Coast this course is offered one year full-time and one year part-time or two years part-time. Applicants who have already completed the Certificate III in Financial Services will gain credit towards the Diploma of Accounting and could complete the Diploma in one year part-time. The course commences in February 2009.
English language and numeracy skills sufficient to deal with accounting and tax terminology.
Application and Selection Procedure To apply, please contact the campus directly on 5671 2300. Applicants will be interviewed and may be required to undertake a basic literacy and numeracy test.
Information sessions will be held at the campus on the corner of White and South Dudley Roads,
Wonthaggi. Please phone for more details.
Competencies studied in the programme are:
Currently offered in the Certificate III Financial Services (Accounts Clerical)
• Use technology in the workplace
• Communicate in the workplace
• Apply health and safety practices in the workplace
• Prepare and bank receipts
• Process journal entries
• Maintain financial records
• Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
• Prepare financial reports
Additional competencies to complete the Diploma of Accounting
• Apply principles of professional practice to work in the financial services industry
• Prepare income tax returns
• Manage budgets and forecasts
• Prepare financial reports for a reporting entity
• Implement and maintain internal control procedures
• Provide management accounting information
• Prepare financial statements
• Process business tax requirements
• Develop and design complex spreadsheets
Assignments, tests and classroom observation of skills demonstration.
Recognition of prior learning and Credit Transfer
You may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if you are assessed as having sufficient
experience in life, work experience or meet the requirements for modules or competencies based on formal or informal education.
If you have completed modules or competencies that are the same, or deemed equivalent, as
specified in a curriculum document such as a Training Package, either in a different course or at
another registered training organisation locally or internationally, you may be eligible for a credit
transfer. If you think you are eligible for RPL or credit transfer please discuss this with staff at the selection interview.
Advanced Diploma of Accounting
Support is available to students in a range of areas including Study Skills, Personal Counselling,
Careers Advice and Disability Support. Contact Student Advisory Services for more details.