Speak without obligation to
Faculty of the VCA and Music, University of Melbourne
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Comments about Postgraduate Diploma in Music Performance - On Campus - Melbourne - Victoria
The objectives of the Postgraduate Diploma in Music Performance are:
• to provide musicians with an intensive period of study, rehearsal, reflection during which the threads of prior influence can be woven into a clear fabric of understanding and combined with new insights and epiphanies to enhance and enrich their experience as performers;
• to challenge musicians to expand their artistic horizons by encouraging them to take risks in the selection of repertoire outside their usual comfort zones, in creating and presenting programs that defy the dictates of tradition (both solo and ensemble), and by re-evaluating their core notions of what music is;
• to challenge musicians to new universes of philosophical enquiry into the nature of their intentions and experience as artists and performers;
• to cultivate the poetry of the soul as an essential element of the performance experience;
• to stimulate enquiry into the research-performance continuum;
• to expand the notion of the way in which the fruits of this enquiry may be presented to the public;
• to prepare the student for further postgraduate studies.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Music Performance is a full-time, full fee-paying course that offers exceptional performers the opportunity to focus exclusively on their chosen performance area for one academic year through a combination of intensive individual lessons, ensemble tutorials, and seminars designed to stimulate enquiry into the relationships between performance and research. This course provides an excellent introduction to further postgraduate study.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Music Performance is offered in the following strands:
Orchestral Instrumental Performers are encouraged to participate in the VCA and Music Orchestra and may nominate this activity as a component of the Ensemble subject.
Subjects by Year
• 758-852 - Principal Study 1.1
• 758-853 - Principal Study 1.2
• 758-854 - Ensemble 1.1
• 758-855 - Ensemble 1.2
• 758-856 - The Performer in the 21st Century 1.1
• 758-857 - The Performer in the 21st Century 1.2
• 758-858 - Advanced Performance Seminar 1.1
• 758-859 - Advanced Performance Seminar 1.2
Major areas of study
Repertoire; improvisation; practical composition.