The Bachelor of Arts (BA) is the most popular degree at Flinders University and at most universities around the world. It provides a high quality education suitable for today's society, featuring both depth of study and breadth of knowledge.
The BA's flexibility allows you to either:
* explore in depth a single field of study (up to two-thirds of your topics may be concentrated in a chosen field) or
* range widely and study several different fields of study (the BA allows you to graduate with 1, 2 or 3 majors).
Students graduate with specific skills and knowledge and a range of generic skills, including oral, written, electronic and graphic communication and presentation skills, critical analysis, teamwork and interpersonal skills, management and planning skills and computer literacy.
Why study Arts at Flinders?
To qualify for the Bachelor of Arts, a student must complete 108 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic.
The 108 units must include: *
* one Arts major sequence selected from the list of BA major sequences comprising 9 First Year units and 24 units of Second or Third Year topics according to the requirements for the specific major sequence;
* one Arts minor sequence (different from the major) selected from the list of BA major or minor sequences comprising 9 First Year units and 12 units of Second or Third Year topics;
* at least 27 but no more than 45 First Year units.
Any topic offered by the University may be chosen to complete the 108 units, provided course and prerequisite requirements are met. With the permission of the BA Board of Studies, up to 54 units may be taken through study at another approved institution.
The BA Examinations Board may approve substitute topics if a student is unable to undertake particular core topics while studying overseas on an approved program. A student who fails the same topic twice may not re-enrol in that topic except with the permission of the BA Board of Studies.
* Students who completed 21 units in the BA prior to the start of the 1996 academic year need not meet the requirements for the minor sequence and may complete up to 60 First Year units.
NOTE: FOR ALL BA MAJOR/MINOR SEQUENCES - NOT ALL TOPICS ARE NECESSARILY AVAILABLE IN A GIVEN YEAR.
The following can be studied as major or minor sequences (all except those marked # can be taken at honours level).
* American Studies
* Applied Linguistics
* Asian Studies
* Australian Studies
* Biological Sciences
* Business Economics
* Computer Studies #
* Creative Writing #
* Criminal Justice
* Development Studies
* Digital Media Studies #
* Earth Sciences #
* Education #
* Environmental Studies
* Geographical Information Systems #
* Globalisation #
* Health Education (minor sequence only)^^
* Indigenous Studies (minor sequence only)
* International Relations
* Latin American Studies
* Legal Studies
* Mathematics #
* Modern Greek
* Physical Education (minor sequence only) ^^
* Professional Studies (minor sequence only)
* Public Policy
* Screen Studies
* Visual Arts (minor sequence only)
* Women's Studies
University accredited languages, taken through cross-institutional studies, including those offered by the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia, are also available as majors in the Flinders Bachelor of Arts.
^^ These minor sequences are no longer offered in the single Bachelor of Arts degree. They are open only to students in the double Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts degrees.