The Bachelor of Arts component offers a diversity of studies, making it attractive to students seeking a liberal arts education and the development of skills either as a basis for employment or as the foundation for further specialised study. The course is designed to produce knowledgeable, articulate, innovative graduates skilled in research, logical thought, clear expression and the application of ethical principles to decision making.
The Bachelor of Music component provides a balanced training in practical and theoretical areas of music, leaving career options as open as possible. Alongside rigorous historical and theoretical studies, students are trained in practical skills preparing them for careers as professional musicians.
Apply to VTAC.
Career options in music are left as open as possible and may include musical areas such as solo performance, accompaniment, vocal or keyboard teaching, conducting, choral training, and arrangement/composition, and church music.
Pathways to further study
An honours degree in arts or music is available for high-achieving students.
Apply directly to ACU National.
Completion of the dual degree and satisfaction of the requirements for entry to Honours for the relevant degree.
320 cp (Pass)
Minimum duration: 4 years full-time or equivalent part-time.
Course available at: Melbourne, Victoria
EFTSL value of units: All 10 cp units in this course have an EFTSL value of 0.125. Units with a cp value of a multiple of 10 have corresponding EFTSL values.
“Major”: 80 cp in prescribed units in one discipline or approved interdisciplinary area, normally including at least 10 cp at introductory level and at least 60 cp at advanced level.
“Minor”: 40 cp in prescribed units in one discipline or approved interdisciplinary area, normally including at least 10 cp at introductory level and at least 20 cp at advanced level.
2. Requirements for Completion of the Pass Degree
Click here for Unit Descriptions
To qualify for the Pass degree, a student must complete 320 cp, consisting of:
1. 140 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings for the Bachelor of Arts course, consisting of:
1. 40 cp from a Minor in a discipline other than Music;
2. 60 cp from other units, in a discipline other than Music; this must include at least 10 cp from Mission-focussed Units and may include additional units in the discipline of the Minor;
3. 40 cp from a minor in History of Music, Techniques and Theory of Music and/or Liturgical Music;
2. 180 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings for the Bachelor of Music degree, consisting of:
1. 80 cp from History of Music, Techniques and Theory of Music and/or Liturgical Music units listed in the Schedule of Unit Offerings for the Bachelor of Music; these units must include at least one unit selected from:
Unit Code Credit Points Unit Name
MUSC121/221 10 Music in Non-Western Society
MUSC201 10 Music in Asian Cultures
MUSC202 10 Music in Australia
MUSC230 10 History of Music: Since circa 1900;
2. 40 cp from Practical Studies;
3. 20 cp from Choral Conducting;
4. 20 cp from Choral Experience;
5. 20 cp from Practical Studies or 10 cp from each of Choral Conducting and
3. Requirements for Completion of the Honours Degree
To qualify for the Honours degree a student must satisfy the requirements set out in the rules for Honours in the relevant single degree.