Graduate Certificate in Ornithology
About the course
These two articulated courses are the only specialised postgraduate courses in Australia in the field of ornithology. The courses combine theory and practice with an emphasis on Australian birds.
The aims of these courses are to:
* provide detailed and current knowledge of bird ecology, including foraging and breeding, social organisation, bird movement and birds as ‘environmental indicators’
* provide an overview of the origin, evolution and systematics of birds focusing on recent developments in this dynamic field
* critically investigate current approaches to bird conservation, including reintroduction programs
* provide an understanding of the principles of captive avian management, including husbandry, nutrition, breeding requirements, health and disease and record keeping
* provide a comprehensive review of two selected bird groups, including evolution, taxonomy, biology and ecology and conservation status
* provide an integrated framework for assessing and implementing appropriate management and conservation strategies and technologies
* further enhance the problem solving/thinking/research skills of graduates to enhance their leadership potential
* provide the opportunity for individuals to carry out major reviews or small projects in areas of specific interest to them or their organisation
Students of the Graduate Certificate are required to attend compulsory residential schools for each subject. Residential schools are scheduled to allow students to attend two residential school subjects back to back.
The additional four subjects undertaken as part of the Diploma do not have residential schools.
Distance education students studying only one subject per semester may choose to attend residential schools ahead of subject commencement to reduce the amount of travel required.
To graduate, students must satisfactorily complete 32 points for the Graduate Certificate and 64 points for the Gradaute Diploma (comprising 32 points of credit awarded for the Graduate Certificate and 32 points completed during enrolment in the Graduate Diploma).