Off campus studies
International students can only undertake off-campus study while living overseas. Due to visa regulations, off-campus units are not available to international students studying in Australia, unless it is in addition to their full-time on-campus study mode.
Fees and charges
Fee paying place - International (IFP)
A Fee paying place is one for which the university does not receive any government funding. As such, students enrolled in these places are required to contribute the full cost of their course.
Fees for international students apply to persons living in Australia with Temporary Resident status, provided that there is no limitation on study and persons living abroad who are not Australian citizens and do not have Permanent Resident status in Australia.
Equivalent Full Time Student Load (EFTSL)
EFTSL is the standard annual full time load. Eight credit points is the standard full time load for one year of study.
* The 'indicative annual course fee' cited has been provided as a guide only. It has been calculated on the basis of a typical enrolment of a student undertaking the course in 2009, and reflects the cost involved in undertaking a full-time quota of units within the specified discipline.
The actual fees charged by Deakin University will depend upon the discipline from which each individual unit is chosen, and may vary from the indicative course fee cited, particularly if units are chosen from a number of disciplines. The cost of each unit offered in 2009 can be viewed at http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-students/handbooks2009/search.php.
Please note that the fees per unit/credit point may increase annually due to rises in the cost of course delivery and service.
Deakin assumes no responsibility for persons relying on 'indicative course fees' to calculate the total future cost of their course.
A candidate is required to complete a thesis of 40 000-50 000 words, embodying the results of research carried out in the field of study specified at the time of enrolment. Candidates in the arts may submit a thesis comprising creative works and an exegesis of no fewer than 10 000-12 000 words. After a suitable qualifying period, as designated by the Faculty, Master of Arts candidates showing significant promise as research students may apply to transfer their enrolment to the Doctor of Philosophy program.
Supervision is available in most discipline areas offered by the Faculty. Contact the Higher Degree by Research Officer on Tel 03 5227 2368 or email
Deakin University offers scholarships for study towards higher degrees by research. For further information, contact the Research Scholarships Officer, telephone 03 5227 3492, or fax 03 5227 2175 or email email@example.com
Admission requirements - general
The minimum qualification for admission as a candidate for a degree of master by research is a degree of bachelor with honours, from a recognised tertiary institution, in a field relevant to the program which the applicant proposes to undertake and for which the University can provide the required supervisory expertise.
Admission requirements - specific
Applicants should hold a bachelor degree with honours at either lower second class (H2B) level, or above, or a masters degree by coursework at H2A/Distinction level in a field of study related to the subject of the proposed research, or other qualifications/research publications approved as equivalent.
How to apply
* Applicant Portal: Use our online application system to submit and track your application now.
* Apply through a Deakin International office: Fill out an application form and submit it to a Deakin International office.
* Apply through a Deakin representative: Take your application form to your preferred agent for assistance.
Tracking your application:
If you have already applied and wish to enquire about your application please refer to the relevant area through which you originally applied.
* If you applied online, log back into the Applicant Portal using your username and password.
* If you applied through a Deakin representative please contact your representative.
* If you applied through a Deakin International office please contact that office.