The major objectives of the course are to:
1. promote student access to educational pathways and award courses, including students from equity groups;
2. facilitate student access and achievement in higher learning.
On completion of the courses, students will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
1. critical and analytical abilities;
2. enthusiasm to search for further knowledge and understanding;
3. open-mindedness and receptiveness to new ideas;
4. expertise in chosen academic field;
5. knowledge and skills to meet relevant professional requirements;
6. understanding of and commitment to professional ethical standards;
7. communication and interpersonal skills in working with clients and colleagues;
8. commitment to values consistent with the University’s mission;
9. a spirit of service to the community;
10. commitment to good citizenship, including respect for individuals, empathy with persons of differing cultural and religious backgrounds, community responsibility and concern for the environment.
English Language Requirements
IELTS 6.5 with 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Minimum duration: 6 months full-time or equivalent part-time.
Course available at:
Sydney (Strathfield), NSW
EFTSL value of units: All 10 cp units in this course have an EFTSL value of 0.125. Units with a cp value of a multiple of 10 have corresponding EFTSL values.
1. Requirements for Completion of the Certificate
To qualify for the Certificate, a student must complete 40 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings.
Schedule of Unit Offerings
Prerequisite (Pre), co-requisite (Co) and incompatible (Inc) units are indicated in parentheses where applicable.
Unit Code Credit Points Unit Name
EDAB111 10 Indigenous Cultures and Peoples
EDAR100 10 Creative Arts Education: Visual Arts
EDAR101 10 Integrated Creative Arts Education 1
EDCU101 10 Early Childhood Education 1 – Early Childhood Pedagogy and Curriculum
EDFD124 10 Social Analysis and Community Outreach
EDFD127 10 Contexts for Learning and Development
EDFD133 10 Understanding Learning
EDFD136 10 Early Childhood Education 2 – The Ecology of Childhood
EDLA104 10 Communication Skills and their Contexts
EDLA107 10 Linguistics for Literacy
EDLA108 10 Children’s Literature for Literacy
EDLA200 10 Classroom Communication Skills
EDMA103 10 Exploring Mathematics 1 (Inc: EDMA100)
EDPH103 10 Personal Development Health and Physical Education 1
EDST102 10 Computers in Education
EDST107 10 Science and Technology for Primary Teachers 1
EDST204 10 Science and Technology for Primary Teachers 2
EDTS100 10 Information Technology and the Classroom
ENGL105 10 English Language Communication Skills
ETHN107 10 Australian Society
THBS100 10 Introduction to the Bible
THCT100 10 What Christians Believe (Inc: THEO163)
THEO162 10 Introducing the Scriptures
THEO163 10 Introducing Theology