Learn professional swimwear sewing construction techniques and pattern making. What you learn in this course can also be applied to making your own bras or lingerie.
Learn how to use industrial sewing equipment used for swimwear production. Also learn how you can make your own swimwear to fit you at home, using a domestic sewing machines and overlockers. Learn specialty stretch stitches, elastic application and more, to create a professionally finished swimsuit.
During the course you will get to make a couple of swimsuits (how many will vary depending on the styles chosen and the students speed). These can be made to fit you, or can be a standard size. You could make your own bikini, one-piece swimsuit, tankini and/or monokini.
Understand how to create an underwire bra swimwear top, with underwire casing – the same principles can be applied to making lingerie bra tops.
Learn the pattern making skills to make your own swimwear designs and learn how to take a pattern of an existing bra to get the perfect fit!
Students will require sewing experience before enrolling in this course. If you are beginner sewer you may like to first try our ‘sewing lessons’ or ‘fast track fashion design course’.
You will learn how to:
* use industrial machines to create a professionally finished swimsuit
* use domestic sewing machines & overlockers to make your own swimwear at home
* make your own swimwear patterns for your designs
* grade swimwear patterns to standard sizes *
* sew your own swimwear designs
* take a pattern from your own swimsuits or lingerie
* find out where to purchase swimwear fabrics and bra components (underwire, bra hooks, bra straps etc)
* how to create structured bra/bikini top with underwire and padding
* Standard sizes meaning sizes 8-10-12-14 for example. We will not cover grading up to plus sizes as this is more complex. Basic swimsuit grading only - grading bra cup sizes is not covered as this is more complex.
The equipment listed below is available for purchase at the school.
Swimwear Fabrics & Haberdashery:
* Swimwear Lycra Fabrics and lining
* Hooks and Clips
* Swimwear elastic
* Underwire cover
* Fabric scissors
* Tailors chalk
* Tape measure
Pattern Making Equipment
* Grading ruler (optional - but a ruler is required)
* Tracing wheel
* Awl / Stilletto / Dart Marker
8 weeks (48hrs total). Sunday's 9.30am - 4pm.