This course aims to develop the advanced reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, computer and study skills required for further study at ACU National, for Diplomas, Undergraduate Degrees and Postgraduate Programs. It will prepare students for the language, academic and cultural demands of studying at ACU National. Students in English for Academic Purposes: Direct Entry will develop: Comprehension, critical thinking, notetaking skills and vocabulary; Academic speaking and writing skills; Further knowledge of English grammar; and The ability to communicate on issues relating to their field of interest.
English Language Programs
ACU National understands the challenges faced by students whose first language is not English. By providing excellent teachers and proven English Language programs we will give you the skills and confidence to increase your level of English.
Our English Language Programs include classroom activities that give you an understanding of how English is used in the Australian culture. Language use changes in different situations. For example, the English you need in the classroom may be different to the English used in business or social situations. ACU National English programs will help you to understand these differences and to successfully communicate in a variety of settings.
As an English Language student, you will have access to university facilities and services while you study with us. You will also receive a certificate of completion once you finish, so you can be reminded of your achievement and improvement.
Did you know?
* General English is offered all year round, with intakes every four weeks.
* We provide a direct entry course which means you do not need to sit an IELTS Test for entry to Bachelor or Diploma programs at the University.
* We provide an IELTS Test Preparation course for students who need to prepare for an English Test, such as IELTS or the ACU English Test.
* Our English language centres are small, with an average class size of 15 students. This means teachers have more time to help you with any difficulties you may have.
In the English for Academic Purposes: Direct Entry program, assessment is continuous. Students complete a series of assessment tasks that start in Week 2 of the course and finish in Week 12. Although there are tests in the final week of the course, they are only worth approximately 25% of the overall assessment.
Assessment task scores are added together to give the final grade. Results for the course are expressed as High Distinction, Distinction, Credit, Pass or Fail.
* Students with a PASS result will gain direct entry into an ACU National course for which the IELTS entry requirement is 5.5. Students with a CREDIT result will gain direct entry into an ACU National course for which the IELTS entry requirement is 6.0.
* Students with a DISCTINCTION result will gain direct entry into an ACU National course for which the IELTS entry requirement is 6.5.
* Students with a HIGH DISTINCTION result will gain direct entry into an ACU National course for which the IELTS entry requirement is 7.0.
English for Academic Purposes: Direct Entry focuses on developing the English language proficiency and approach to academic study that students need to successfully complete university level courses. At the same time, it allows students to become familiar with their campus and the resources and services available to international students.
The assessment tasks are similar to those that students undertake in university courses at ACU National and require students to use campus library resources, including subject-specific databases. The content is stimulating. Students have the opportunity to focus on their own area of interest, such as nursing or business.
Due to the structure of the program, late entry is not advisable. Students who arrive after the commencement date may be placed in an alternative program, such as IELTS Test Preparation or General English. In this case students will be required to demonstrate their English proficiency through the ACU English Test or IELTS in order to take further study at the University.